Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Psalms of David -- Psalm 3

Am feeling drawn to the psalms of the Prophet David as of late; will be posting anything from the psalms attributed to him that catches my attention. Am also reading as a companion to David's psalms the book Christ in the Psalms by Fr. Patrick Henry Reardon.

Fr. Patrick says the following concerning Ps. 3:
"So we begin the day. Psalm 1 has already contrasted the lots of the just and the unjust, and Psalm 2 indicated the battle between the two sides. Now, in this third psalm, there cries out the just man engaged in that battle: 'Lord, how increased are they that trouble me; many are they that rise up against me. Many there be that say of my soul: "There is no help for him in God".'

"Conflict we have here, and the distress that conflict brings, for fighting battles is one of the major motifs of the Book of Psalms. This is not a prayer book for the noncombatant, and unless a person is actually engaged in hostilities it is difficult to see how he can pray Psalm 3: 'Arise, O Lord, save me, O my God; for You have smitten all my enemies on the jaw; You have broken the teeth of the ungodly.'"

1 comment:

Mimi said...

I enjoy that book very much and look forward to your commentaries.