Monday, May 09, 2005

More Life Lost...

Well, prom for my school was last weekend, and yesterday--Mother's Day, while I was out treating my mom to lunch--I got a call from the head of the Spanish department saying that a young man had been shot at an after-prom party--wasn't doing anything himself, didn't get involved in a fight or anything...someone just started shooting and he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Stupid fucking kid--the shooter, not the victim, pardon my language, my thoughts just got away from me...think I actually will keep that lovely little phrase, though; seems to summarize my feelings right now.

What's even harder for me is, unlike the young lady who also was killed earlier this year (2nd part of the entry), I actually knew and had taught this young man (Victor, if you care to remember him and/or his family in prayer), and while he wasn't the brightest bulb in the box, he was always respectful, never a discipline problem...was going to graduate this year. Damn, damn shame.

Be mindful, O Lord of Victor, who has fallen asleep in the hope of resurrection and eternal life; pardon all his transgressions, both voluntary and involuntary, whether in word, or deed, or thought...shelter him in a place of brightness, a place of verdure, a place of repose, whence all sickness, sorrow and sighing have fled away, and where the sight of Your Countenance rejoices all Your saints from all ages. Grant him Your Kingdom, and a portion in Your ineffable and eternal blessings, and the enjoyment of Your unending life. For You are the Resurrection and the Life and the Repose of Your departed servants, O Christ our God, and unto You we ascribe glory: to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

3 comments:

Munkee said...

My Brother Bryan,

The F bomb is highly appropriate here. This kind of violence is quite unfathomable to me. Beyond being irrational and unecessary, it is a slap in the face to the creator who has placed His divine image upon each of us.

I will keep Victor and his family in my prayers each morning.

Take care friend.

Mimi said...

May his Memory be Eternal, I will keep him in my daily prayers as well.

(I also agree, sometimes you are so angry that the "f bomb" can be appropriate)

In Christ,
Michelle

Fr. David said...

Thanks for the comments and prayers, folks. I still feel somewhat justified in the "choice of words," but I remember that "from the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks" and that, while it's certainly understandable to use that word in this context, we gotta watch this stuff, as it's addictive.

A sort of PS to this post: today a counselor read a list of Seniors over the PA who were to report to the auditorium...w/out thinking, she blurted out Victor's name. Lord, have mercy.