Saturday, May 07, 2005

TPR Conference

Cristo ha resucitado...

It is my firm belief that Total Physical Response (or TPR, as it's known among us modern language teachers) is the best way for folks with no prior experience to learn a second language. I've used it all during this year and, while not all of my kids have become Spanish whizzes, even the lowest achievers have undoubtedly come away with a much greater ability to understand things that students from prior years would have had no clue about.

And this comes just from reading the books about it. So I'm going to attend a workshop in late July (paid for by the wonderful head of foreign languages for the District who, even though she knew I was looking around for other employment and might not be back next fall (though I most likely actually will), agreed to pay for this summer activity!). This workshop basically is a first-hand and hands-on application of what I've read about--the sort of "living tradition" that serves to complement the mere "book-larnin'" I've been running on this past year.

So I'm excited. Also hoping to land a position as a Summer School teacher. What can I say, folks? I've been educated to be an educator; this is what I love, even if the kids can be little $#!+heads sometimes. The extra paycheck that'll see us through the summer is always nice, too. If not, then it's off to the Global Language Center here in Ft. Worth for pt. time Spanish tutoring and/or translation work to make ends meet.

Gloria a Dios en todas las cosas...

3 comments:

Munkee said...

Awesome Bryan!

I love when stuff like that works out.

Fr. David said...

Sigh...

Well, thanks...but here's hoping that this date for the conference doesn't interfere with my daughter's baptism; it's EXACTLY 40 days after her due date, soooooo....

We'll see. Maybe she'll be early and give me (and Mami!) a break.

Riiiiiiiight...'cause that'll be worth going through the nevah-sleep-again days that much earlier, right?

Munkee said...

early, late, who knows...they truly come when they will.

If your wife stays home for the forty days, as some do, then the baptism is often a week after her return and subsequent churching.