Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Should I Get My Hopes Up?

What an odd couple of days....

After being so quickly dismissed from TAKS tutoring, I decided it was the most beneficial option at my disposal to be as involved with the Global Language Center as I possibly could (which is pretty dad-gum involved, as I had all day, every day available until Dormition!) That, and seeing what I could see on proz.com -- a veritable paradise of potential freelance work for language/translation geeks such as myself -- would (I hoped) get us enough to make it through the summer without having to dine on pork-'n'-beans and spaguetti all summer.

It was then I got a call from the principal of TAKS training (who really did feel awful about having to dismiss me). The fellow who is involved with quite a few of the school district's summer programs -- and who, incidentally, was SUPPOSED to have made the original decision regarding filling the TAKS tutoring position (one of his inferiors hired me w/out consulting him, hence my inevitable sacking shortly thereafter...) -- had a position available for a non-certified teacher such as myself (I like that phrase; can you tell?) to do much the same thing I WAS doing, but with a smaller group of students (> or = 10) in their 20s who didn't pass the since-discontinued, former standardized test, TAAS. Same pay, same schedule, start tomorrow. And since HE'S the one hiring me, there's nobody else (so he says) who will come along to sack me on Monday.

So -- at present -- looks like this in the morning, GLC stuff in the afternoon/evening. Good stuff, thanks be to God. And so, another prayer, this one of thanksgiving:

Almighty and merciful God, I most humbly and heartily thank Thy divine majesty for Thy lovingkindness and tender mercies, that Thou hast heard my humble prayer, and graciously vouchsafed to deliver me from my trouble and misery. Grant me, I beseech Thee, Thy helping grace, that I may obediently walk in Thy holy commandments, and lead a sober, righteous and godly life, ever remembering Thy mercies, and the blessings Thou hast bestowed upon me, the undeserving one, that I may continually offer to Thee the sacrifice of praise than thanksgiving, O Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments: