Wednesday, March 01, 2006

"And Be Thankful."

Colossians 3:15: "And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful."
Yesterday had to have been a record high for N. Texas--80-something at the end of February--and today is looking like the same with a high of 87! Sunny, warm weather's bound to put anybody in a good mood, but doubly so* with me because of several reminders...

First, a word from one of my vice-principals which, though they ususally be cheesy and Hallmark Card-esque, hit me right this time...he's a pastor, and from time to time puts these inspirational emails in our school conference email system. Yesterday we were greeted with this:
I am Thankful...

For the wife who says it's hot dogs tonight, because she is home with me, and not out with someone else.

For the husband who is on the sofa being a couch potato, because he is home with me and not out at the bars.

For the teenager who is complaining about doing dishes, because it means she is home, not on the streets.

For the taxes I pay, because it means I am employed.

For the mess to clean after a party, because it means I have been surrounded by friends.

For the clothes that fit a little too snug, because it means I have enough to eat.

For my shadow that watches me work, because it means I am out in the sunshine.

For a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning, and gutters that need fixing, because it means I have a home.

For all the complaining I hear about the government, because it means we have freedom of speech.

For the parking spot I find at the far end of the parking lot, because it means I am capable of walking and I have been blessed with transportation.

For my huge heating bill, because it means I am warm. For the lady behind me in church who sings off key, because it means I can hear.

For the pile of laundry and ironing, because it means I have clothes to wear.

For the weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day, because it means I have been capable of working hard.

For the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours, because it means I am alive!
Not only did that put things in a better perspective (and prompt meditation on the Scripture verse above), but immediately after reading this I got a call from Audra (and Hope, of course) who wanted to go for a walk in this beautiful weather...so I went home, changed, and we walked--the four of us (large, sweet dog included)--to Sonic for ice cream. Warm breeze in the face; good conversation with a beautiful, giving woman; gigantic, two-toothed baby-smiles and squeals; thick coldness on the tongue (God bless cheese week!)--truly much to be thankful for.

And speaking of cheese week, the slightly modified, just-before-Great-Lent-really-kicks-in diet was just enough to find a connection with God, both through the asceticism of His Church, and in His creation. It's been too long since I've walked and/or run, I realized. The God who shines and sends rain--and, thanks be given to Him, He just gave us a much needed rain this past weekend--is seen every day by those who will drink in His Creation and then turn to Him in thankfulness.

*For an additional meditation on thankfulness (brought on by my use of "doubly so"), read the lyrics to Rich Mullin's song he wrote for Amy Grant called "Doubly Good to You" here.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Great post. Thank you.